Drag Sidestep - Feints and Fakes - 1v1 Moves for U10-U11
This 1v1 soccer move can get a defender holding his position on the wrong foot when done properly. The player should use his body well to get this feint to work.
It is similar to the regular Sidestep (Feints and Fakes for U8-U9), which is more appropriate when coming in fast while the defender is stepping in.
This 'Feint and Fake' builds on the Drag Sidestep Stop (Dynamic Ball Mastery Drills for U10-U11).
Practise this 1v1 move along with this drill: Take Sidestep (Static Ball Control Drills for U8-U9).
When starting with the right foot:
(Switch left and right below when starting with the left foot)
- Dribble with the right foot towards the defender.
- Lean a bit to the left side.
- At the same time:
- Hop on the left foot to the left.
- Drag the ball in the same direction (left) with the right foot.
- Perform a sidestep to the right.
- Take the ball to the left with the left foot.
- Accelerate away from the defender.
Things to watch out for:
- Lean well before dragging the ball. Remember it is a feint. The defender has to be put on the wrong leg in order to succeed.
- Perform the sidestep very quickly after the drag.